Saturday, September 22, 2007

Beginning of School

Hello!

Classes started on Monday, and surprisingly, the whole week went really well. I've been busy and tired and I even got a bit of a cold, but that's the worst of it. I teach Intermediate to maybe Pre-Advanced. I also have some conversation classes, which are by far my favorite.

I have a few classes that are challenging. One is a group of chatty teenagers maybe 13 or 14 years old. One funny thing that happened in this class. I was teaching (of course) and I noticed on of the girls write a note on a piece of paper and (in her way of being discreet) showed it to the class. I don't know how she thought I wouldn't catch that trick. I walked over to her and she giggled and hid the note. I told her to show it to me, and after a second, she did. On it was written the words, "Czy ona coś mowi po polsku?" Which means, "Does she say anything in Polish?" I looked her in the eye and said, "Don't think I don't understand you, because I can understand everything you are saying, got it?" It wasn't completely true, but I felt that she needed to believe that, so she won't pull any more tricks. She looked scared and said, "oh that's bad" and giggled. She was still a little chatterbox throughout the whole class and got the rest of the class worked up in the process. Annoying and I had to yell at them several times. Mean Teacher! :)

I also had another class on Friday, that was the exact opposite. They wouldn't talk to anybody, not even each other. I don't know what their problem was, but they nearly put me to sleep. I was trying to get them to speak and answer questions without using yes, no, or I don't know. So I asked them a question like, "Why do you want to work in England" and there was just silence in the room. They were just out of it. It was funny to watch. they would think really hard about the question for five seconds, and then it seemed like their brain flew out of their head. They were so out of it that I made them get up and walk around the room three times. They thought it was stupid and maybe it was, but it actually helped.

Oh yeah, we're nearly half-way through with our green card stuff. We just got our paper work from the embassy. Please continue to pray that we'll be able to get everything we need to them by next week, and that the processing will go smoothly

No comments: